The CERB will be available to workers:
- residing in Canada, who are at least 15 years old;
- who have stopped working because of COVID-19 or are eligible for Employment Insurance regular or sickness benefits;
- who had income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application; and
- who are or expect to be without employment or self-employment income for at least 14 consecutive days in the initial four-week period.
The income of at least $5,000 may be from any or a combination of the following sources: employment; self-employment; maternity and parental benefits under the Employment Insurance program and/or similar benefits paid in Quebec under the Quebec Parental Insurance Plan.
The Benefit is only available to individuals who stopped work and are not earning employment or self-employment income as a result of reasons related to COVID-19. If you have not stopped working because of COVID-19, you are not eligible for the Benefit.
How to apply
There are two ways to apply:
- Online with CRA My Account
Instructions once you’re in your CRA My Account
- Go to COVID-19: Canada Emergency Response Benefit in the alert banner at the top of the page
- Select the period you want to apply for
- Declare that you qualify for the benefit
- Confirm we have the right payment information
- Over the phone with an automated phone service
Call the automated toll-free line at 1-800-959-2019
Before you call: To verify your identity, you’ll need
- your social insurance number (SIN)
- postal code
If you are calling the CRA on behalf of someone else, you must be an authorized representative
If you are applying online: You will need a CRA My Account to apply
Refer to this link for further information on how to access your CRA My Account: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/benefits/apply-for-cerb-with-cra.html
If you are applying online or on phone: Your payment will be delivered by direct deposit or by cheque
Refer to this link for further information on how to update your mailing information on your CRA account: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/benefits/apply-for-cerb-with-cra.htm
To help manage the number of applications the server will be receiving daily, there are specific days for everyone to apply. Please look at the following guideline:
After you apply
If you are eligible for the CERB, you can expect $2,000 ($500 per week) for a 4-week period.
It is a single payment for a 4-week period.
If your situation continues, you can re-apply for a payment for multiple 4-week periods, to a maximum of 16 weeks (4 periods).
Note: These benefits are taxable and you will need to report any payments received on next year’s tax filing. An information slip will be made available for the 2020 tax year in My Account under Tax Information Slips (T4 and more).